Since I discovered how easy it is to make your own bread, and how much salt and sugar they put in bread you buy in stores, I am baking my own bread every couple of days. Especially spelt bread because it’s way better than ordinary white and brown bread. Making spelt bread isn’t necessarily harder than making ordinary bread.
Time needed: 25 min to prepare + 30 min to rise & bake
Ingredients for 1 big ass spelt bread
- 1 tablespoon fresh yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 2/3 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 9 tablespoons oil
- 9 cups spelt flour
Continue reading “Homemade spelt bread”
This week I made spelt bread. And I discovered this lovely peas & avocado spread to accompany the bread as appetizer. Delicious and vegetarian!
I am a late chef. I get in my kitchen between 9-10 PM to start preparing my evening meal. My stomach starts making noises at 7 PM. So in between 7 & 9, you basically find me with my head in the refrigerator. Snacking on every piece of vegetable, meat, fish etc I find in there. And avocado. Definitely avocado since I absolutely adore the green vegetable.
This week I made spelt bread. And I discovered this lovely peas & avocado spread to accompany the bread as appetizer. Delicious!
Time needed: 5 min
Dishes: 1 small bowl & 1 fork
Ingredients for peas & avocado spread (to cover 5 slices of bread)
- 1 avocado
- 1 small can of peas
- juice of half a lime
- salt / pepper
How to make peas & avocado spread
- Put the avocado, peas and lime together in a bowl
- Smash and blend everything together with a fork
- Add salt and pepper as you wish
Make sure to eat the spread immediately. A day later (and especially 2 days later) it doesn’t taste good anymore.
New Year’s Eve is not the same at my house without homemade pizzas. This year, I made way too much dough, so I tried to make bread rolls with the leftover dough. Which was quite a success!
These bread rolls would be great to accompany a cheese platter!
Time: 15 min preparation + 1h30 rising & baking
For 6 bread rolls
Ingredients homemade bread rolls
- 15 grams of dried yeast
- 500 grams flour (I used bleached, white flower)
- 350 ml of warm water
- 2 spoons olive oil
- pinch of salt
- some raisins
How to make homemade bread rolls
- Mix the yeast with the warm water
- Gently mix it with the flour
- Add a pinch of salt, the olive oil and raisins
- Mix really well with your hands
- Put a wet, warm towel on top of the dough and let it rise for 1h in a warm place
- After one hour, your dough should be doubled in size. If so; knead the dough again & make little bread rolls in your hands
- Put them in the oven for 30 min on 180°
- Get the bread rolls out of the oven when they turn slightly brown on top
Enjoy your bread rolls!